“If you have a chance to see Liz – DO IT! If she came back tomorrow I’d see her again in a heartbeat.”
Simcoe Board of Education
I’m an award-winning, professional speaker and author, and most importantly, an expert in my field. My mission is to help people lead healthier, happier lives by changing their relationship with food, with their bodies, and with themselves. Ultimately, I believe that “food, love and life should be delicious!” My job to make your life more so!
I speak regularly to corporations, associations, health professionals, educators, parents and students across North America. My talks are relevant, informative, inspiring, fun, and definitely life-changing. I’ve never had a client who wasn’t happy they hired me. I get lots of referrals and repeat business as a result.
Each talk is customized to best meet client needs. Most keynotes or workshops are 1 to 2 hours in length. Half-day presentations are also an option.
Let me build a talk for you, based on the topics below:
Food, Body Image & Mental Health
Body dissatisfaction is extremely detrimental to mental health and leads to shame, depression, and disordered eating. This presentation can change the trajectory of a person’s life by changing how they relate to their body, as well as how they relate to food.
- The powerful impact of food advertising on children, teens and parents
- What makes most people’s relationship with food so unhealthy
- How family, friends, and the media all contribute to body dissatisfaction
- How the digital retouching of photos in the media vastly changes the standard we measure ourselves against (absolute flawlessness)
- Why social media, including “selfies” can be especially harmful to mental health
- Why adolescence is an especially fragile time when it comes to body image and “fitting in”
- How “fat talk” and “body checking” reinforce body dissatisfaction
- Why negative and toxic self-talk causes the most harm to mental health
- How male body-image problems often come disguised as health and fitness goals and often involve the excessive use of body-building supplements
- How weight-based bullying (the most common type of bullying) leads to body shame, as well as severe self-criticism and self-hate
- How to start a “love your body” and “love who you are” revolution
- Why self-compassion is the key to healing our unhealthy relationships with food and ourselves
Please note: I’ve recently completed training courses in Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (University of Toronto) and Emotion Focused Therapy (York University).
Nutritional All-Stars & Dietary Villains
Your body is your home. It’s the most important home you’ll ever live in. Learn which foods are all-star protectors of health and those that cause harm. Reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes, dementia, and more.
- The latest research on superfoods like blueberries, kale, almonds, black beans, quinoa, salmon, turmeric, green tea, and dark chocolate
- How much is too much when it comes to sugar, salt, red meat, and unhealthy fats
- How food impacts your brain, heart, eyes, and all your body parts
- Prebiotics and probiotics – the health of your gut determines the health of your body
Food Myths, Misconceptions & Lies
If you’re frustrated by changing nutrition headlines and conflicting advice, you’re definitely not alone. Get science-backed answers to your most common questions.
- Alcohol – does a drink a day keep the doctor away?
- Are detox diets safe?
- How much water should I really drink?
- Is a gluten-free lifestyle recommended for all?
- Should eggs be back on the menu?
- How harmful or healthy are saturated fats?
- What vitamin supplements should I take and avoid?
- Is organic always better?
- Is coffee really linked to longevity?
- Does milk fit into a healthy diet?
Why Dieting Doesn’t Work, But Mindful Eating Does
A healthy body weight has a tremendous impact on how you look and feel, as well as your risk of disease. Learn how to manage your weight in a world where it’s almost impossible to do so.
- The latest research on losing weight, keeping it off, and why most diets fail
- Why belly fat is more dangerous than body fat
- How highly palatable, processed foods impact reward pathways in the brain and increase food intake
- How around-the-clock eating is harming our waistlines and health
- Why emotional eating (eating in response to boredom, depression, loneliness, anxiety and stress) is so common and also so difficult to change
- The science of food habits – why we eat what we do
- How to survive and even thrive in a toxic food environment
- Mindful eating – how to eat with intention and attention
- How lack of sleep impacts mood, food choice, food intake, and body weight
- Stand up and move – sitting is the new smoking!
- Walking is a superstar sport
Eating Healthy In The Fast Lane
When life gets busy, it’s harder to eat healthy. Get practical advice on how to eat well, even on the run.
- Top ten healthy snack options (plus snacks that look healthy, but are not).
- The importance of snack timing and location.
- Why dining out is so harmful to health and how to minimize the damage done.
- Fast, fun, easy meal ideas when you don’t have the time (or energy) to cook.
Health & Wellness Programs
More and more companies are developing Health and Wellness programs. I can assist with both the development and delivery of the program. Healthier employees are good for the bottom line. They’re happier, more productive, miss work less often, and result in lower health care costs. A good wellness program also significantly increases employee satisfaction and lowers employee turnover.
Retreats are the ultimate environment for lasting and meaningful change. Clients can hire me for one or two day weekend (or weekday) retreats. Large or small groups can be accommodated. Clients choose the location (I can help). It should be surrounded by nature and have access to plenty of hiking trails and other outdoor activities. The retreat includes nutrition lectures, cooking demos, great food, meditation, hiking, dancing, fit breaks, life lessons and more.
I have been a long-term member of the Canadian Association of Professional Speakers, the Global Speakers Federation and Toastmasters International.