We could all use more fibre! It’s great for gut health, lowers blood cholesterol and helps keep your appetite in check. Here’s a delicious way to get more of it into your eating plan! These yummy muffins are made with whole wheat flour and loaded with high fibre ingredients like flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, raspberries and dates. You get 7 grams of fibre per muffin along with a whole lot of good nutrition.
P.S. I just received a note from a friend who tried these muffins. She said they lasted a day and everyone loved them – her kids, in laws and her husband. Enjoy!
Makes 12 Muffins
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
1 cup (250 mL) ground flaxseed
½ cup (125 mL) sunflower seeds
1 tbsp (15 mL) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 mL) cloves, ground
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
1 cup (250 mL) orange juice
½ cup (125mL) skim milk
1 cup (250 mL) dates, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL)maple syrup
1 ½ cup (375 mL) raspberries, fresh or frozen
Please note: You can buy flaxseeds pre-ground or grind them yourself in a small coffee grinder.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium size bowl mix together whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, cloves, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a blender mix together orange juice, skim milk, dates, egg and maple syrup. Another option is to add the ingredients to a small bowl and use a hand held blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until combined. Fold in the raspberries.
- Divide the batter into 12 paper-lined or well-greased, muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the tops are firm to touch.
Nutrition Information Per Muffin: 180 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 28 g carbohydrates, 12 g sugars, 7 g fibre, 6 g protein, 118 mg sodium