Berries are disease-fighting superstars. Making them a regular part of your eating plan is one of the wisest decisions you can make. These 100% whole grain muffins are loaded with antioxidant-rich, wild blueberries. They’re incredibly moist and tasty and the combination of lemon, blueberries, and maple together is really wonderful! Enjoy!
1 cup (250 mL) large flake oatmeal
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2.5 mL) baking soda
¾ cup (175 mL) low-fat milk (skim or 1%)
Juice and grated peel (zest) of 1 medium lemon
½ cup (125 mL) pure maple syrup
¼ cup (60 mL) canola oil
1½ cups (375 mL) wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In medium size bowl mix together the oatmeal, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, mix together the milk, juice and zest of one lemon, maple syrup, canola oil, and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Divide batter into 12 paper-lined or well-greased, muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are firm to touch.
Nutrition Information Per Muffin: 151 calories, 6 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 23 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fibre, 3 g protein, 116 mg sodium