Sweet Potato Fries with Allspice & Lemon Zest
Sweet potatoes are a goldmine of nutrition. They’re loaded with health protective beta-carotene as well as sought-after nutrients like vitamin C, potassium and fibre. Over the years I’ve tried lots of different recipes for sweet potatoes. This one is one of my favourites. The lemon zest, allspice and sweet potato combination just seems like the perfect marriage of flavours. Enjoy!
Serves 2 to 4
2 to 3 sweet potatoes (about 4 cups/1 L, sliced into fries)
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
½ tsp (2.5 mL) allspice
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
¼ tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Wash sweet potatoes and pat dry. Peel and cut into sticks like fries.
- Toss sliced sweet potatoes in a bowl with oil, lemon zest, pepper and salt.
- Spread evenly on large baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes until tender crisp and nicely browned, turning once halfway through the cooking time.
Nutritional information per serving (1 cup/250 mL): 115 calories, 3.5 g fat, .5 g saturated fat, 20 g carbohydrates, 6.5 g sugars, 3 g fibre, 1.6 g protein, 175 mg sodium