Spaghetti with Apricots, Slivered Almonds & Cottage Cheese
Apricots, almonds, cottage cheese and fresh mint are an amazing combination in your mouth and they go so well with whole grain pasta. The deep orange colour of apricots tells you they’re loaded with good nutrition, including plenty of beta-carotene. Almonds are the most nutrient-dense nut and are especially high in Vitamin E and magnesium – two disease-fighting nutrients most people don’t get enough of. Red peppers add great colour to this dish and contain more vitamin C than most other foods. Whole wheat pasta has the goodness of whole grains and is a superstar when it comes to fibre. Bottom line: great taste and great nutrition make this one awesome dish!
1 box (375 g) Catelli Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Spaghetti
3 Tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
2/3 cup (160 mL or 100g) slivered almonds
1 can (398 mL/14 oz fl) apricot halves in light syrup (drain syrup, but put aside 3 tbsp/45 mL to add back), diced
1 cup (250 mL or 40g) fresh mint leaves, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 ½ cups (375 mL) 1% cottage cheese
½ tsp (2 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
1. Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, diced onion, diced red pepper and slivered almonds and sauté for about five minutes or until the onion and red peppers are tender.
3. Add the apricot halves, three tablespoons apricot syrup, chopped mint, red pepper flakes and salt and cook for another three to five minutes or until the apricots are heated through.
4. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook, stirring, for one more minute.
5. Add the cottage cheese, mix well and heat just until the entire dish is hot.
6. Drain the pasta when ready and mix well with the skillet ingredients. Serve immediately. Garnish with fresh mint leaves.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving):453 calories, 14 grams fat, 2 grams saturated fat, 0 grams trans fat, 63 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams fibre, 14 grams sugars, 320 grams sodium, 9 grams protein