If you love souvlaki, then you’ll love this recipe. It’s melt-in-your mouth delicious and bursting with lemony flavour. You can serve it in whole grain pita pockets or tortillas, along with a bit of tzatziki, shredded lettuce and tomatoes. It’s also wonderful served along side brown rice and a green salad. It’s makes a great leftover meal for lunch too (served hot or cold)!
2 chicken breasts (400 g/14 oz)
Juice of one medium lemon (about 3 tbsp/45 mL)
Zest of one medium lemon (about 1 tsp/5 mL)
½ cup (125 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 green onion, chopped
¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
Please note: this marinade is also wonderful with pork, beef or fish.
- Put all marinade ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Remove all visible fat from chicken and cut into one inch cubes.
- Add chicken to marinade and stir until combined.
- Let chicken marinate for at least 15 minutes or more. Another option is to marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to cook, turn grill to medium heat. Put chicken on skewers. Spray grill with non-stick cooking spray. Grill chicken for about 6 minutes total or until done (turn kebabs about every 2 minutes while cooking).
Nutritional Information Per Skewer (makes 4 skewers): 137 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 2 g carbohydrates, .5 g sugars, .5 g fibre, 23 g protein, 195 mg sodium